List of Subject-Specific Competences
1. Carry out a consultation with a patient:
1.1.take a patient’s history;
1. 2.carry out a full physical, clinical and symptomatic examination of adults (male and female) and children.
2. Assess clinical presentations, order investigations, make differential diagnoses, and negotiate a management.
3. Provide immediate care of medical emergencies, including First Aid and resuscitation.
4. Prescribe drugs clearly and accurately, explain potential benefits and risks:
4.1. match appropriate drugs and other therapies to the clinical context;
4.2. in prescribing take careful account of the socio-economic context of the patient;
4.3. understand, consider and explain drug-drug/food interaction.
5. Carry out a full range of standard practical procedures.
6. Communicate effectively and sensitively in a medical context.
7. Apply ethical and legal principles in medical practice.
8. Assess the psychological and social aspects of a patient’s illness.
9. Apply the principles, skills and knowledge of evidence-based medicine.
10. Use information, information technology and up to date, relevant and effective technology effectively in a medical context.
11. Recognise the health needs of the community and engage with the community in the promotion of health and health education.
12. Professional attributes:
12.1. interpersonal skills;
12.2. probity and honesty;
12.3. critical and self-critical awareness, reflective practice;
13. Professional working:
13.1. ability to recognise limits and ask for help;
13.2. flexibility, capacity to deal with uncertainty and adapt to new situations;
13.3. ability to lead;
13.4. ability to work autonomously;
13.5. ability to solve problems and to take decisions;
13.6. ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and communicate with experts in other disciplines.
14. The doctor as expert:
14.1. capacity for analysis and synthesis;
14.2. capacity to learn (including lifelong self-directed learning);
14.3. capacity for applying knowledge in practice;
14.4. ability to teach others;
14.5. research skills.